Excavations in the estate of Sophia of Kyiv and Vyshhorod of the National reserve
This year the students of our Institute was fortunate to host the summer archeological practice in the National reserve Sophia of Kyiv and Vyshgorod historical and cultural reserve.
In the study area in the upper town was found a ceramic complex of the XI century. According to archaeologists, in the XI century. on the territory of 5-6 ha here were 250-300 hearths. In sectors where horns were found had been excavated fragments of ceramic products. A collection of ceramics reaches thousands of fragments and complete products. A special place deserve the finds from the brands masters, finds the ornament.
In one of the sectors was found a garbage pit with fragments of pottery. Under which it was subsequently discovered the burial of a male radnog period of the tenth century. Under the weight of the soil the lower jaw have disappeared, but all the teeth are preserved in amazingly good condition.
A significant proportion of students historians, who interned scored great successes also in the National reserve “Sophia of Kyiv”. Where did a large amount of work to establish historical facts. The current excavation was carried out in a new place, where not been subject to any archaeological research.
On the territory of the Metropolitan garden in 1909 the archaeologist D. Mileev have unearthed the remains of the temple, which most scholars identify with Lininskiy Church, founded by Yaroslav the Wise.
Since 2013, the joint expedition of the National preserve “Safekids” and Institute of archeology of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, and this year even the students of the Institute of society, were held here architectural and archaeological research are still not explored the foundations of the southeastern extension of the temple. An Annex to the temple was a two – or three-chamber construction which may serve for performing funeral services. The foundations of the outbuildings were built of stone and bricks (plinthoi), laid in lime-mortar CEM yankovaya. The external and internal surfaces of the walls of the Annex were probably plastered. On fragments of plaster recorded the remains of ancient graffiti. Also graffiti was found on the wall of the ceramic vessel. The peculiarity of the excavation that was found in the extension 34 of the burial.
The collection of archaeological finds can be attributed to the construction of an extension to the middle of the second half of the XI century. After the Mongol invasion in 1240 the temple was destroyed. In 16 – 17th century this place was occupied by the cemetery of St. Sophia monastery. Further, all archaeological finds must be preserved intact to preserve for future generations.
Excavations in the St. Sophia Cathedral this year generated considerable public interest. Therefore, several Ukrainian TV channels covered the progress of the excavations.
In the framework of the reporting conference of the historians of the second year prepared reports on the most interesting finds. At the final conference was attended by archeologists-scientists, partners from the Institute of archaeology of NASU and Vyshgorod historical and cultural reserve, which carried scientific management. With interest has been met the report about Kovalchuk V. excursions of our students in the South tower of St. Sophia Cathedral. Practical component during the excavations in the St. Sophia his report outlined Trofimchenko N. and Simcic K. A. Gurfinkel and Yuri Komarov told about the main findings in Vyshgorod. Their report complements the statement of V. Salsala about the most interesting individual findings in Vyshgorod.
Also made our guests – researcher Vyshgorod historical and cultural reserve Dmitry Valentinovich Bibikov. His presentation summarized the excavations in Vyshgorod in 2014 Also the research supervisor of the Dniester expedition Dmitry Konstantinovich Chornovil was briefed on a possible excavation site of the next archaeological season – the world famous landmark of Tripoli Bernasco.